Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olympics!

I love the Olympics! Always have, always will. I have memories of watching the Olympics as a child. It was one activity we actually did as a family.  I think the most memorable Olympic moments of my childhood are from 1984 when the games were held in Los Angeles.  My father was in the Army and was stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado, near Colorado Springs.  The U.S. National Olympic Training Center is also located in Colorado Springs and the Olympic flame was making its way across the country.  I remember my parents hearing that the flame would be coming through the city so they hurried to pack us in the car and drive to the other end of town to one of the big parks.  It was dusk, I believe, and the Colorado Springs Symphony Orchestra was playing.  Just as the flame entered the venue, the orchestra began to play Chariots of Fire.  We got to see the flame be passed from one relay runner to another.  It's a moment I will never forget.  Nowadays, I get so excited when the Olympics are approaching and basically clear my schedule of everything else so I can watch as much as possible on television.  Attending a summer Olympics is on my Bucket List.  (1984 was also when Mary Lou Retton got a perfect 10 to win!)

The Opening Ceremonies are always one of my favorite parts.  I love the tradition, the ritual, the symbology, the history.  I enjoy that all the nations are "under one roof".  Tolerance and peace seems to be within our grasp. Everyone is there for one common goal, to do their best at their given event. I always stay tuned until the very end, waiting to see who will light the cauldron.

Thankfully, my hubby really enjoys the Olympics as well, and we decided to host an Opening Ceremonies party this past Friday night.  I made these invitations a few weeks ago and sent them to some friends.


Then, I thought we might might need a little ambiance, so I made these table decorations.


I also thought it would be fun to have an opportunity for our guests to win a medal.  I put together a trivia game and the top three scorers won a medal and candy.


I made the medals on top of these cheap children's party games, the kind where there are several little balls inside where you have to try to get them to stop in the holes.


And, here is my hubby with his first place medal. Such a silly guy!


So, now, I must get back to watching some events on television!

Mary
Products Used:

No comments:

Post a Comment